Monday, March 21, 2011

Some passages from Mary Shelley's FRANKENSTEIN

Here are some of the Creature's that I either thought would be good song lyrics or felt perfectly befitted my current state of wretchedness. Don't write Frankenstein off as one of those books you had to read in high school-it's amazing! And in spite of the vengeful qualities of the provided quotes, the Creature is one of the most sympathetic characters in British literature (in my opinion).

Hey,how about reading these while listening to some appropriately gloomy music?


"'All men hate the wretched; how then must I be hated, who am miserable beyond all living things! Yet you, my creator, detest and spurn me, thy creature, to whom thou art bound by ties only dissoluble by the annihilation of one of us. You purpose to kill me. How dare you sport thus with life?Do your duty towards me, and I will do mine towards you and the rest of mankind. If you comply with my conditions, I will leave them and you at peace; but if you refuse, I will glut the maw of death, until it be satiated with the blood of your remaining friends.'"

"'The desert mountains and dreary glaciers are my refuge. I have wandered here many days; the caves of ice, which I only do not fear, are a dwelling to me, and the only one which man does not grudge. These bleak skies I hail. for they are kinder to me than your fellow-beings.'"

"'Shall each man...find a wife for his bosom, and each beast have his mate, and I be alone? I had feelings of affection,they were requited by detestation and scorn. Man, you may hate;but beware! Your hours will pass in dread and misery, and soon the bolt will fall which must ravish from you your happiness for ever. Are you happy, while I grovel in the intensity of my wretchedness? You can blast my other passions; but revenge remains-revenge, henceforth dearer than light or food!'"

1 comment:

  1. I remember being so surprised when I had to read "Frankenstein" for school at how erudite the creature was.

    ReplyDelete